Air Fryer French Fries – THM E
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my discloser here.
When I was a little girl my grandmother made the best homemade French fries. It was completely legit – she had a deep fryer and everything! They were perfectly salty and had the best texture. As an adult I have desire to mimic those fries – but as a THM approved option!
Air fryer to the rescue! I got an instant pot for Christmas (thanks hubby!) that also has an air fryer. It has taken a few attempts but I think I’ve finally got a nice fry recipe with good texture.
If you like this recipe please like, comment, and subscribe to the blog as well as follow me on social media so you don’t miss the next post!
What you will need:
- Kitchen equipment:
- Air fryer: mine is pretty small since my 8-qt instant pot converts into one but a regular air fryer will likely be even better since it will likely have more capacity.
- Cutting board, strainer, and mixing bowl or you can have both in one! I love this cutting board and wash basin I found on Amazon.
- Knife for slicing and a peeler if you want to peel them. I choose not to peel since I like the crunch of it when air fried.
- Golden potatoes, preferably organic. Golden potatoes as mentioned by Pearl in the THM podcast are lower glycemic for a potato making them a better on-plan E option. The reason I prefer organic is to limit pesticides which can be harmful. You’ll need 1-2 per person depending on their size. Most golden potatoes I find are pretty small.
- Mineral salt, I only use the THM brand because I love it so much!
- Coconut oil cooking spray: gives more flavor without all the fat.
Let’s get cooking!
- Wash the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes thinly so they can cook faster and be more crisp.
- Soak the sliced potatoes in water for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and place on a towel in a single layer. Cover with another towel and pat them dry.
- Set up your air fryer as directed by the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spray the air fryer basket with coconut oil cooking spray. Place a single layer of potatoes in the basket then spray them with the coconut oil spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Air fry at 375F for 15-20 minutes, mixing the fries up about halfway through.
- Keep working in batches until all the fries are cooked. Keep batches warm in the oven at it’s lowest temperature or in the oven warming drawer if your oven is already in use.
- Add more salt if needed and enjoy as a THM E.